Sunday, February 2, 2014

Adventuring

I went to a songwriting conference at Refinement Records in Draper, Utah, over the weekend, and have so many different topics to cover about songwriting I think I will divide my thoughts into several different posts. But, first and foremost, I will start with a little personal introspection.

I found that this experience of preparing for and then attending the Refinement Records event caused me to dig deep and define who I am as a songwriter and why I do it.  The answers I came up with were surprisingly rewarding and valuable.  I am a songwriter because I have felt my God-given talents to creatively write words AND my love of music in all forms come together within me in such a powerful way that I felt it was my duty to share what I have with others.  More than just my duty, it is one of the purposes for my life to develop and share these things.  This process of sharing is not only for the enjoyment of others, but for the development and growth within myself.  I love that.  It causes me to feel such gratitude to God for giving me the life that he has.  The joy I get from each creative step is hard to put into words.  I think the title of this blog captures the idea well, though.  Songwriting is truly an adventure.

As much as I am enjoying my adventure, I equally enjoy hearing others' adventures as well.  So, I have a questions for any of you who read my blog.  Are you a songwriter?  If so why do you write music?  If you don't write music do you have some other creative outlet that just brings you joy and fulfillment and purpose?  Please comment on this post so I can hear about you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment