Monday, February 29, 2016

Monday Memoirs: the Birth of a Song

It is my believe that each song has a spirit about it, just waiting to be born.  Whether it is a song waiting to be a cover song (kind of like an adoption) or an original song coming from deep within.  I never know if this delivery will be short, long, painful or easy.  Having said that, there is ALWAYS some kind of labor involved.  My song ideas, quite often, seem to have a mind of their own.  If I have an opinion of where I want them to go, sometimes they follow and sometimes they don't.  Yet, I do find myself disciplining my free spirited musical ideas when it comes to basic structural guidelines for songwriting.  Who knew that creating music could be so closely compared to parenting?

This past week I experienced some complications with the birth of my cover "Fight Song" by Rachel Platton.  It was not until the day after I published my Wacky Wednesday post, that I discovered I had actually messed up on one of the basic lyrics several times.  I am not sure what I was thinking, but  the mistaken word happens to be "fight" and the song is called the "Fight Song".  There is definitely a problem with that.  So, I hope you will all be patient as I give this baby the care it needs.  I do plan on sharing it once more, but it might be 2 weeks before I can.  I am swamped with local theatre musical director responsibilities until the end of next week.

This creative process is so much fun to share with all of you, though.  I find myself laughing at the whole thing even though I am still really embarrassed.  I hope you continue to enjoy this journey with me too.  How about you?  Do you have any stories of embarrassment in your creative endeavors?  Please do share.   I would also love to hear about any songwriting experiences you have had.    It brings me great joy to know that others are creating music just like me.  Until next time... Happy Songwriting!!

“Close Up Of A Pregnant Woman With Baby Letters On Her Hand” by David Castillo Dominici  from www.freedigitalphotos.net


No comments:

Post a Comment