Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Monday Memoirs: Living life to the Fullest

When I first started to pursue my long time dream of creating and making music, I was so overwhelmed that I would lie awake at night petrified at just the thought of performing in front of others; afraid of making the biggest mistake of my life by becoming the ultimate FOOL.  The only thing that helped me face this fear was deciding that even if I DID make a fool of myself it didn't matter because I would at least be living my life and fulfilling a dream that had been a part of my childhood heart for as long as I could remember.  What did it matter that I was 38 when I finally decided to face this fear.  I was ready for the figurative roller coaster ride of my life.  Now, almost 5 years later, I am amazed at where this path has taken me.  Starting off as a classically trained pianist, I had no idea that I would find myself creating modern pop/folk style music, including covers of top 40 songs as well as original songs, let alone recording them and sharing them publicly on sound cloud.  I especially never dreamed I would be making music videos to share on youtube.  This has all been, at times, a little more than I could fathom.  I just keep telling myself that I don't care if I seem like a fool.  Living life to the fullest is more important.

This month I would like to focus my blog posts on this topic of facing fears and pursuing dreams.  I would love to hear from you.  Do you have any dreams that require an extreme amount of courage to obtain?  How about dreams that took you a long time to decide to pursue?  I would love to hear all about them.  Please share.  Until next time.... Happy Song Writing.



“Error Stamp” by Stuart Miles from freedigitalphotos.net


4 comments:

  1. Hi Catrina, I discovered your blog this morning. And will be following your April topic. Facing fears to live a full and meaningful life is a real and universal one. As a homeschool mom, visual artist, writer, lifelong learner, it is an ongoing issue in my life. Publicly sharing anything whether it be an art piece, a new business, or even just a thoughtful personal opinion can be agonizing. Choosing to follow an unbeaten path, like homeschooling our children certainly puts choices and values out in the open for occasional scrutiny. Creative pursuits and their results are generally so personally felt that it can feel like an overwhelming risk to share. I look forward to reading your thoughts and experiences. Don't leave your music in you!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie, I am so glad you left your comment today!! I myself am a homeschooling mom. I find great joy in teaching and learning with my 13-year old son. It has also been, at times, the most challenging thing I have ever done in my life. It certainly takes a lot of self-control and careful balancing of priorities to have each day go smoothly. I love it when I come across other homeschoolers with similar interests. I find great support in just knowing others are out there. I hope you have a great day of school!!
    Catrina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catrina, I was very sad to not have a CD available, but will take advantage of YouTube etc.. I enjoy your music, it puts me in a good mood! And you can ask my hubby, I'm very picky about music. I usually choose to keep the radio off rather than have to listen to what they have on.
    Keep up the good work and living life to the fullest. Detra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deterlou, It warms my heart that my music would put you in a good mood. I hope to make a CD someday. I will let you know when that happens. :)
    Catrina

    ReplyDelete