Monday, April 4, 2016

Monday Memoirs: Slow Motion Pieces of Me

Right now, I feel like pieces of my life have been thrown up in the air and millions of tiny shards  are falling down around me in slow motion.  Each piece seems to be going in a different direction and I, in a sloth like manner, am scrambling to gather them all to put back together again.

My attempt at songwriting, this morning, seemed to be just as difficult and slow in motion, and yet I still find myself wanting to keep track of these moments.  Every day, the good moments as well as the  bad ones, are a part of my life and my songwriting experience.  Each moment of each day has value.

When I first started writing a song this morning, I thought that I might have something worth sharing by the end of the day, but all the other millions of slow motion pieces of my life got in the way and I never returned to my morning attempts.  I am sure that something will come of it eventually, but not today.  Thankfully tomorrow is a new day with a whole 24 hours worth of opportunities.

How about you?  How does your life FEEL right now?  How are you fitting your songwriting hobby into your life?  Please share your experiences.  I would love to hear.

Until next time.... Happy Songwriting.

“Shattered Pieces” by Stuart Miles from freedigitalphotos.net


2 comments:

  1. I should have written a ton of songs last year since I went through a pretty big slowdown in my work. It's funny, but when work was steady, I was constantly wanting to write & record, but rarely had the time. Then when I had the time, I didn't feel like writing or even playing music. Or at least, not as much as I should have. You sound like you are on the right track in that you sat down with the intention of writing a song. It's a good habit to have. I find it helpful to use a looper pedal and keep some kind of simple audio recorder handy for when inspiration strikes. The looper makes a great "audio scratch pad" for laying down a rhythm track and then working on a melody in real time. There is a lot of technology to aid the creative process today, but it really boils down to setting aside the time to allow yourself to be creative. Sometimes it actually helps me to "starve" myself by not playing my instrument of choice (guitar) for a week or so. The lack of practice is not good (my fingers start losing their callouses), but it does generate a creative craving that has served me well over the past few years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comments are encouraging. I am such a beginner in the area of recording I am curious to know more about your use of the looper pedal. I am not even sure if I have that capability. I use garage band and connect my keyboard to my laptop for now. I will be exploring that option more fully, though. Thanks for the great suggestion. I look forward to hearing more about your songwriting experiences.

    ReplyDelete